InfoTrends (a division of Keypoint Intelligence) is pleased to announce the completion of its latest Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera (DILC) Market Study. The study examines current and potential future DILC owners’ photo and video behaviors, attitudes, preferences, and ownership of digital SLRs, mirrorless cameras, and lenses. The DILC market continues to grow in importance. In 2017, InfoTrends expects that DILCs will account for 50 percent of cameras sold in the US and almost 80 percent of revenue.
New sales opportunities still exist in this market. Potential camera buyers are shifting towards more serious photographers, such as photo-centric smartphone users and aspiring professionals. These photo-enthusiasts are the breeding ground for future DILC camera sales. A growing portion of smartphone owners are graduating from casual photographers to photo enthusiasts and even to aspiring professionals. They will seek out educational opportunities to learn more about the art and profession of photography. They will also look for the right camera and lenses to help them express themselves through their photography. Additionally, targeting photo-enthusiast DILC and point & shoot camera owners who aspire to become professional photographers and/or videographers could generate additional revenue from equipment sales and rentals, service and support, as well as from educational services.
Aspiring professionals are made up of a mix of DILC owners and non-owners. Only 47% of aspiring pro photographers already own a DILC and the percentage for aspiring pro videographers is a mere 19%. This leaves a lot of room for camera sales. Among those who own a DILC, 45% of aspiring photographers and 57% of aspiring videographers plan to buy another DILC in the next year.
This study is designed to equip companies that are interested in the DILC market with critical business planning information. It will:
- Segment and profile the market by key demographic characteristics, such as age, gender, income, and photographer type for current and future DILC buyers.
- Highlight potential target segments for new marketing and sales opportunities.
- Compare the demographic profile of smartphone only, point & shoot (P&S), mirrorless, and DSLR camera owners.
- Examine owners’ and future owners’ attitudes, behaviors, and preferences.
- Provide insight into photo activities, feature usage, and future requirements.
- Analyze product awareness, consideration, and purchasing for current and future owners.
- Outline the potential opportunity for the DILC market by providing unit and value forecasts for cameras and lenses.
- Identify opportunities and strategies for DILC vendors.
For more information, visit our online brochure or contact email@example.com.
InfoTrends is the leading worldwide market research and strategic consulting firm for the imaging, document solutions, production print, and digital media industries. We provide insights and advice to help clients understand market trends, identify opportunities, and grow their business. For media inquiries contact Donna O'Malley at donna.omalley(at)keypointintelligence(dot)com or+1 781.616.2116.
About Keypoint Intelligence
Keypoint Intelligence is a global data and market intelligence leader for the digital imaging industry. The company has over 125 professionals around the world who provide critical planning and go-to-market services, including in-depth market research, competitive intelligence, sales training, product testing, content creation, and customer engagement. For more information, contact Mike Fergus at mike.fergus(at)keypointintelligence(dot)com or +1 973.797.2150.